It's amazing the stuff you can stumble on to on youtube if you just keep watching 'related videos' to the one already playing. For instance, at the beginning of every week I update the 'smack talk' on the frontpage of my yahoo fantasy baseball league which is comprised mainly of some of my old Ohio State teammates. Now I don't write normal derogatory type 'smack talk' like you might imagine. Instead, I always post a quote from my favorite movie of all time...Major League which may or may not pertain to how my fantasy team did the previous week. Stuff like "I haven't heard of half these guys, and the ones I have are way past their prime", or "Ball 4. Ball 8. And Vaughn has walked the bases loaded on 12 straight pitches. Monty, I don't know how these guys lay off pitches that close!" Anyway, this morning I was looking for a video of Bob Uecker, who basically plays himself in the movie as the Indians announcer, Harry Doyle. I wanted to get the correct quotation for my smacktalk section and I happened to stumble onto this video of Ueck in 1985 on the legendary Johnny Carson show. This guy absolutely made the Major League movie and really doesn't seem to differ at all away from the movie set or announcing booth. In a day in age when many professional athletes seem to be so protecive of their pride and ego you have to appreciate a guy who can continually mock himself and his own career in the major leagues with a straight face and without missing a beat. On the flipside, it's hard to find a more colorful baseball announcer that Bob Ueker. Here is the video of the Johnny Carson show and if you really need to see a video of him in Major League you wouldn't think this was funny anyway. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment