A few snowflakes in Westerville won't lessen my excitement nor threaten the Indians 2009 season opener in Texas this afternoon. I'm about to sit down and watch Major League with my salami and cheese sandwich today which has become somewhat customary for me since I was in college. I haven't really been following spring training as closely which is due mostly in part to the Cavaliers unbelieveable season thus far. There is something special about this time year....baseball season opener, grass is green, trees in bloom, and intervals on the outdoor track. It's hard to believe next year at this time we should have a little one that will be nearly 5 months old. How cool would it be to take my son with me to Arizona while I get in some warm weather running that also happens to coincide with a few Indians games since they now play in the Cactus League out there? We did it two years ago. A few training partners and I went and stayed in Tempe for two weeks to get out of the cold weather in Ohio and bridge the gap to some warmer weather upon return. Kevin and I went to a few games for like 5 bucks and sat right next to the dugouts 1 row off the field. I also remember being out on a 10miler in the 95 degree Arizona heat wave and spotting a drinking fountain inside the Giants practice facility. I ran right up beside the field, got a drink, looked around, ran off and no one said a word. It's such a low-key environment rarely associated with professional athletics....well with the exception of track of course. Anyway, welcome to another season of Indians baseball! Maybe, just maybe, this year will be the one. Then again, I almost hope it isn't. I want my future child to 'witness' it and Lord knows Cleveland championships come around even less than once in a blue moon.Jake Taylor: "I play for the Indians."
Claire Holloway: "Here? In Cleveland? I didn't know they still had a team!"
Jake Taylor: "Yeah, we have uniforms and everything. It's really great."
No comments:
Post a Comment